Pathways of Women’s Empowerment
Pathways of Women’s Empowerment links academics, activists and practitioners who are working to advance women’s empowerment through local, regional and global policy processes.
The Pathways of Women’s empowerment explores issues at the heart of feminist research and advocacy, such as:
- Women’s work.
- Access to employment.
- Independent income.
- Women’s sexualities and intimate relationships.
- Women’s voice and engagement in political institutions and processes.
Pathways research allows policy actors, researchers and civil society organisations to engage in dialogue through events such as workshops, thematic reviews and collaborative sessions held across five global cross-hub working groups.
- BRAC University, Bangladesh.
- Centre for Gender Studies and Advocacy, The University of Ghana.
- The Interdisciplinary Women’s Studies Nucleus at the Federal University of Bahia, Brazil.
- Social Research Centre at the American University in Cairo, Egypt.
- The Institute of Development Studies, UK.
Through this collaborative process, common themes have emerged in relation to women’s empowerment and the diversity of pathways women take on their road to empowerment.
These emerging themes are:
- Empowerment and Women’s Work.
- Politics, Equality and Voice.
- Women, Representation and Sexuality.
- Understanding and Evolving Empowerment.
These themes have been repurposed for education and learning within this platform and developed into four modules, entitled the same.
Pathways of Women’s Empowerment was funded by UKAid from the Department for International Development from 2006-2011. The programme is now supported by the Swedish International Development Agency (SIDA).
Research in Afghanistan, Palestine and Sierra Leone is also funded by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs under the Pathways of Women’s Empowerment - Countries in Crisis project.
Funding from SIDA and The School of Global Studies at the University of Sussex, with the support of the Pathways of Women’s Empowerment, has enabled not only the creation of this unique learning platform but also the provision of this extensive collection of free learning materials.