On 19 June 2019, FHS partner the Sierra Leone Urban Research Centre (SLURC) convened a high-level conference on the theme 'Urban Transformations in Sierra Leone' (PDF) to facilitate dialogue on how research and development in Freetown can be applied to influence policy and planning practices towards the transformation of informal settlements in Sierra Leone. Bringing together researchers, policy makers, government officials, private sector actors and NGOs, the conference was structured around four key thematic areas - Urban Health, Urban Livelihoods and the City Economy, Urban Vulnerability and Resilience, and Land and Planning.
FHS researchers Annie Wilkinson (IDS) and Abu Conteh (SLURC) were presenters in a session titled ‘Urban Health in Transition: Integrating the Health Needs of Informal Settlements into Planning’ (PDF), where FHS research was shared and discussed.
Media coverage of the event was positive, highlighting comments from government officials and policy makers.
Media pieces about the conference include:
- AYV News: 19 June 2019, Report by Ransford Metzger
- SLBC News Hour: 19 June 2019, Report by Joseph Turay
- Global News: 20 June 2019, 'SLURC Impresses Government' by Lansana Fofana
- Premier News: 20 June 2019, 'SLURC, Partners Engage Stakeholders on Urban Transformation' by Stephen V. Lansana
- The Whispers: 25 June 2019, 'Sierra Leone Urban Research Centre Transforms Sierra Leone in Full Steam' by Prince Coker
- Radio Democracy 98.1 FM: 19 June 2019, Gud Mornin Salone: Interview with Dr. Joseph M Macarthy
- UCL Global News: 28 June 2019, 'Sierra Leone visit strengthens UCL collaborations in Urban Research'
All of the conference presentations, as well as the publications that SLURC has produced on each thematic area, are available on the SLURC website.